Books and Magazines:
- Check out books and magazines from the library. Hello, can we say free? Free always, unless you don't turn them back in on time, and the fees start adding up.
- Have a fave magazine that you're always buying from the store at $4 a pop every month? The cheap (and smart) thing to do is just buy a subscription. Depending on the magazine, subscriptions are generally under $20 a year, so you'll save about $28. Or, borrow a current issue from a friend if she subscribes to your favorite magazine.
- Check out Digi-zines.com to read issues of some magazines online- for free.
- Book Mooch lets you swap your unwanted books with fellow swappers. Check it out.
TV, DVD's, and Video games:
- Love video games, but can't afford to plop down $30-$60 on a brand new game? A lot of video game stores, Game Stop being one of them, have used games you could buy for a fraction of the cost of a brand new one. You can also check out Game Fly, where you could rent games for a monthly fee- sort of like Netflix.
- Speaking of Netflix, rent dvd's- with no late fees and usually a short wait to receive movies- for a small fee a month on some plans. *shameless plug* Netflix lets you rent, watch and return DVDs from home - Try free for 2 weeks
- Check out swapping sites such as Swap A DVD and Swap Tree to trade your unwanted dvd's and video games with fellow traders.
- Watch select tv shows and movies for free at Hulu or Modern Feed for select tv shows. You can also check out the network's website for replays of a missed episode.
- Looking for used Cd's on the cheap? Check out Half.com and Amazon for used CD's for the fraction of the cost of a brand new one. Sometimes, if there is a particular CD that I'm looking for that the music stores don't carry, I check out these sites for it.
- More swapping..... check out Swap A CD (a sister site of Swap A DVD)
- When I'm at work, I'm always listening to a streaming radio station. It mellows me out. Browse thousand of different genres on sites like Live 365 ( they have my fave neo-soul stations) and Pandora (lets you create stations based on your favorite songs or artists) and stream away.