While doing a search of ways to prevent my metal fashion jewelry from tarnishing, I ran across a video on YouTube that suggests using clear gloss spray acrylic coating to preserve your jewelry. This method looked interesting and effective, so I decided to give it a try.
What you need:
- clean, tarnish-free jewelry
- A can of clear gloss or matte spray coating ( I bought the can above from Michael's for $6.99, but you can find it anywhere spray paint is sold).
- a pair of gloves
- old newspaper or flat surface to lay the jewelry on to dry
- Make sure jewelry is clean and tarnish free
- Make sure you're in a well ventilated area or outside before you spray your jewelry.
- Wear a pair of disposable gloves, because the spray is sticky. Hold the can about a few inches away from your jewelry and spray a light mist, coating the piece of jewelry evenly.
- Lay the piece of jewelry down on the newspaper to dry. Let dry for a minimum of 10-15 minutes
Hopefully, this method works. It looks promising. If it does, I have TONS more to do (ha!). I'll do a follow up post on my experience with it. Have any of you used this method in preserving your costume jewelry?